The refuges and bergeries on the GR20 are quite different. Mostly they are basic. Nevertheless, some are quite modern with some sanitary comfort, some have nice pitches for camping, others have quite some supplies to buy. Most offer a menu at the evening, that has to be reserved before 5pm, sometimes even earlier.
Its always good to know if the next refuge offers food to buy or if you should rather resupply at the location before. The following survey may give you some indication. It states the condition at end of June 2017. Situation may change. Feel free to give comments below and we will update the list.
- Shop means food and other supply offered at the location. Pietra, the Corsican beer, was always available, mostly even cold.
- Menu indicates there is a dinner offered
- Camping: we used a 2-person Tarptent, not freestanding, with a very comfortable mat (which I strongly recommend).
- Toilet and shower were always available. If nothing is stated, there were at least two of them.
- Shop: 😐 means Canistrelli, Mars, rice or pasta, and a handful other stuff. 😀 means at least 20 articles offered, also some kind of bread and fruit
- Shower: 💧 cold water, ❄️ glacier cold, 💥 warm water
- Toilet: 😐 turkey style, 😀 you may sit. There was never toilet paper available. Bring your own or buy at some refuges. 😀 means water closet or compost toilets, which are clean and nice.
- Camping: smiley indicates the rating of the campsite: scenic, calm, flat and spacious pitches. It might be nice but only few available. This is mentioned in the comment.
Updated with comments from corsica.forhikers.com
The refuges, from north to south
Shop 🙁 nothing to buy at refuge. Nearby shops in the village. Spar open till 1pm on a Sunday – sells gas canisters incl screw in.
Menu 🙁 nothing served. Nearby restaurants in the village
Camping 🙁 very cramped and invariably on an ants nest
Toilet 😕 bowl but no seat and no toilet paper (standard everywhere)
Refuge Ortu di Piobbu
Shop 🙁 only Canistrelli, self made cake and Mars
Menu 😊 nice, friendly staff
Camping 🙂 nice, but only few pitches, widespread
Toilet 😊 new compost, 4
Shower 😊 ❄️, new 3
Shop 😕 only 7 articles
Menu available, not tried
Camping 😐 few small pitches. Get quickly there
Toilet 😊 new compost
Shower 😐 ❄️
Refuge Asco Stagnu
Menu 😃 in nearby hotel, à la carte
Shower 😊 💥
Bergerie U Vallone (Ballone)
Shop 🙁 nearly nothing
Menu 🙂 stressed staff at dinner, too many people. Breakfast not worth the money.
Camping 😊, only few good pitches
Toilet 🙂 only 1
Shower 😊💥 only 1
Castellu di Vergio
Shop 🙂 fresh bread. Many articles, even Compeed and ice cream
Menu available in hotel, à la carte
Camping 😊, very spacious
Shower 😃 💥
Menu one menu
Camping 🙂 campsite fills up quick
Shower 😊 💧
Refuge Pietra Piana
Menu expensive, 30 €
Camping 😐 few good pitches
Refuge de l’Onda
Menu 😁 very nice Lasagne (vegetarian). Have to try.
Camping 😊 nice, but a slope
Shop 😀 everything you need, Gas, fresh bread, dried menus, etc.
Menu 😀 2-3 restaurants, nice dishes
Camping 😐 small, crowdy, hard ground, mostly rock
Refuge Fugone / Capannelle
Shop 🙂 Bread
Menu 😀 3 Menus
Camping 😐 few flat pitches
Shop 🙁 only few things
Menu 😊 menu available
Camping 😊 super, golf-style, but a slope
Shop 😊 everything, water melon, fruit, gas, even shoes!!
Menu 😊 plate 10€
Camping 😏 narrow, very busy
Toilet 😤 worst toilet ever
Shower 😕 💧
Shop 🙁 nothing
Menu 😊 Restaurant, nice menu
Camping 😊 very little, but nice
Toilet 😊 very clean
Shower 💧 solar heated, but had a technical problem
Shop 😐 limited
Menu 😊 restaurant, quite some menues
Camping 😊 nice
Shop 😐 cheese, Canistrelli, cans
Camping 😐 small pitches
Toilet 🤗 new toilets, compost
Shop 😐 few things but fine
Menu 🙂 excellent
Camping 😀 very nice pitches and view
Toilet 🙁 very basic
Shower ❄️ just 1
Refuge Tonella in Conca
Shop 😐 not a lot, but camping gas (screw type)
Menu 😀 very nice restaurant, à la carte